The City of Sumter, South Carolina is the heart of Sumter County community. We continually look at the services provided to make sure they are performing at a level consistent with the growing needs of our entire community. Citizens in our City have a great deal of input into how we spend funds on programs and services that promote this growth. We welcome you to become involved in our process and help to make Sumter a better community.
- May 25, 2021 — The City of Sumter Community Development Department Draft Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) for April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021 is now available to view online or in-person at the Community Development Office in the Liberty Center located at 12 W. Liberty Street. This draft is available for public viewing until June 25, 2021.
- Notice of Public Hearing -- The City of Sumter will be conducting a Public Hearing Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. in the Sumter Opera House Auditorium located on the First Floor of the Opera House at 21 North Main Street, Sumter, SC to receive comments from citizens on its Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER).
- The CAPER is a report on how the City utilized its Entitlement Funds in the amount of $312,047.00 and the CARES Act Funds in the amount of $427,147.00 for period 4/1/20-3/31/21.
- This report will be available for download here or review from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, May 25, 2021 through June 25, 2021, in Suite 4 of the Liberty Center, 12 W. Liberty Street, Sumter, SC.
- Handicapped and/or disabled individuals needing transportation are encouraged to call the Community Development Office at 774-1649 or our Voice Line for hearing impaired persons which is the same number. Persons needing Spanish or other interpretation may have someone call the same telephone number on their behalf in advance of the hearing. Entrance to the Opera House is handicap accessible.
- Citizens may direct questions to Clarence Gaines at 803-774-1649.
Due May 21, 2021 -- The City of Sumter is accepting applications for the Summer Youth Employment Programs for students ages 14-15, who will work in city government, and for students ages 16 through high school, which will work in the Co-Op Program for local businesses. Click here for more information on the Summer Employment Program and how to apply.
- Due May 22, 2021 -- Sign up for for our Youth First Serve Program at the Palmetto Tennis Center today. Click here for more information.