Weekly residents are asked to have their roll cart at the curb by 7:00 AM for collection and leave them out until 7:00 PM that evening.
Effective immediately, starting Friday, January 14, 2022, the City of Sumter sanitation crews will not be sorting recycling at the curb. Until further notice, please bag your recycling items and place them in the same container as your regular trash. This will allow our limited workforce teams to focus on residential and commercial pickup and yard debris. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The City recovers about 2 tons daily of recyclables and cardboard. Residential recycling is picked up at the curbside for all residential houses inside the City limits. This service is offered once every week and is collected on all holidays with the exception of Christmas day, which will be collected either on the Saturday before or after Christmas day. The City furnishes one 18 gallon bin for each resident. If additional bins are needed, they may be purchased from the City by calling (803) 436-2558.
- Aluminum and steel cans (food, beverage and pet food cans)
- Cardboard (See flyer below for "Preparing Material Properly for Curbside Collection")
- Glass bottles & jars (clear, green or brown bottles, jugs and jars)
- Paper (newspaper, inserts, magazines, office paper and telephone books)
- Plastic (beverage, detergent, shampoo and other narrow neck bottles and jugs marked by a #1 or #2 symbol, usually found on the bottom of the bottle)
- Aerosol cans (hairspray, spray paint, shaving cream)
- Poster board or paperboard (cereal, detergent or shoe boxes)
- Drinking glasses, mirrors, window glass, pyrex glass/dishes, ceramics, light bulbs
- Foil wrappers, cellophane, facial tissues, paper towels, folders with metal fasteners, styrofoam, hardback books
- Plastic bottles marked #3 or higher
- Brown Goods (furniture)*
- Building Material*
- Household Electronics*
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs*
- White Goods (Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers, etc.)*
*These items may be dropped off at the County Landfill.
Additionally, Sumter County has nine Recycling Centers strategically located throughout the county for the collection of municipal solid waste, C&D debris, yard debris and recyclables. The Recycling Centers are open to Sumter County residents only. No waste is accepted from private industries or commercial entities.
The Sanitation Department participates with DHEC in a program called “Action in the Classroom” in which we visit local City schools with our recycling mascot, Rocky the Recycler. For information about the Sanitation Department or to schedule Rocky the Recycler, please contact Randolph Paige, Director of Sanitation at (803) 436-2673.
Download our City of Sumter Curbside Recycling Program Flyer below...