January 2023 Council Highlights
- Congratulations to our top three winners of the 2023 Love Where You Live Litter Poster contest. This is the first litter art poster we have hosted, with our partners, Palmetto Pride and the Greater Sumter Chamber of Commerce.
- Those winners are:
- Mason Miller, 2nd Grade, Liberty STEAM Charter School
- Zeviah Bethea, 4th Grade Manchester Elementary
- Danica Hatchell, 5th Grade, Manchester Elementary
- The contest was open to all public and private schools K-12. For their winning entries, the students were presented a framed poster of their artwork and each received a $100 gift card.
- The posters have all the clean-up dates listed for the 2023 year.
- Copies of these posters are available through our litter office and at the Sumter Visitors Center, located at Swan Lake.
- The 2023 Community Clean-Up dates include:
- Those winners are:
- For more info contact our Litter Officer at sumtersc.gov/litter.
- Projects for 2023 up and coming:
- Birnie HOPE Parking lot and walking trail expansion
- Trailhead and expansions for the Shot Pouch Greenway at the Broad Street connection and at Swan Lake.
- South Sumter Park with covered basketball courts, new pickleball, updated baseball fields and more.
- Sumter Art Park with pavilions, trails and basketball courts.
- Sumter Military Museum, building a new facility adjacent to the Sumter County Museum on Washington Street.
- Sumter Opera House expansion and renovations continue.
- Water and Sewer projects all across the city.
- A reminder that City administrative offices will be closed for Presidents Day on Monday, February 20, 2023.
- All services will continue to operate, including your regular weekly trash pickup schedule. Remember, your trash receptacles should be out by the curb, by 7AM each week and remain out until 7PM.
- On February 7, City Council will be at a Hometown Legislative Action Day in the state capital, where council and admin staff will learn about current legislative actions on Law Enforcement, Short-Term Rentals, and a variety of topics important to our city and across the state. We’ll also be meeting with legislatures, both locally and others around the state to discuss issues and more.
- There will be no City Council Meeting on Tuesday, February 7th.
- Public comments may also be submitted online anytime through our website at sumtersc.gov/council/meetings, or city citizens can contact the Mayor or their Council Representative any time prior to any meeting to discuss a concern or idea you may have for the City.
- Our next regularly scheduled meeting will be on Tuesday, February 21st at 5:30 PM.
- Events around Sumter:
- Sumter Opera House in partnership with Theatre Works is hosting The Lightning Thief on Friday, January 27, at 10 AM and 12 PM. Tickets are $23 and on sale now and available online at sumteroperahouse.com.
- Sumter Opera House will be hosting Blue Dogs on Saturday, January 28 at 7:30 pm. The Blue Dogs meld bluegrass and country-rock music, with feel-good original songs, and upbeat shows. Tickets range from $23-35 and are available online at sumteroperahouse.com.
- Cars and Coffee Sumter will be held Saturday, January 28th from 9-11am at Sandhills Medical Foundation. Sandhills Medical Foundation is located at 30 Cuttino Road, Sumter, SC (behind Gamecock Lanes). Cars, trucks, and motorcycles are welcome. Coffee, water, and donuts will be available. Donations benefit Helping South Carolina Inc, a 501(c)3 nonprofit of Sumter. Come join us and bring your best ride! More info on this event on Facebook.
- Sumter Farmer’s Market is hosting Food Truck Fridays at USC Sumter through March 17th. The full market will be returning in March 2023.
- The American Legion Farmer’s Market is ongoing through the winter. They have added Saturday to their schedule and are now open every week Friday’s 12-5 pm. They currently have a call-out for vendors for both Fridays and Saturdays.
- Second Saturdays at the Sumter County Gallery of Art will showcase Yarn Painting on February 11 from 9-11 AM. Ages for this class are 4-12. Cost is $20-25.