Accommodations Tax Advisory Committee
“Travel” and “Tourism” mean the action and activities of people taking trips outside their home communities for any purpose, except daily commuting to and from work. Accommodations tax (ATAX) funds must be used to attract and provide for tourists, and must be spent on tourism-related expenditures.
- To design and implement a media campaign to increase overall awareness of Sumter as a destination.
- Implement an educational program for employees in the hospitality industry, with the goal of increasing visitation to the Sumter community.
- To increase visitation and tracking performance through an integrated campaign promoting Sumter’s local attractions.
- To increase visitation and tracking performance through an integrated campaign promoting Sumter’s most notable events.
ATAX Committee Members:
Hospitality & Lodging Members
- Cheryl Baker, Hyatt Place
- Craig Justice, Springhill Suites
- J. Wayne Lowder, Guignard Diner
- Tommie Sorrell, Willie Sue's
- Denise Weeks, Sumter County Museum Board
- Earl Wilson, Jr., Arby's
Caleb McGowan, National Bank of South Carolina
- Chris Hardy, Greater Sumter Chamber of Commerce
- Shelley Kile, City of Sumter
- Phil Parnell, Sumter County
Interested in serving on this committee? Click here to download a Citizens Form for Service.