City Seeks Public Input to Help Strengthen Downtown Plan
SUMTER, SC (March 18, 2019)– The City of Sumter will be hosting its second series of public meetings for the development of a Downtown Sumter Master Plan, April 1-3, 2019. This plan will be first of its kind for the Downtown Sumter area.
The series of meetings will include both public drop-ins, designed for target community groups as well as open houses where consultants will be presenting information on topics such as land use & design, economic analysis, transportation among others. The public is invited to attend any of these sessions.
“This plan builds on the historic character and recent investment to create an inclusive, active, and prosperous Downtown Sumter,” stated Howie Owens, Downtown Development Manager. “We want to make downtown the true heart of the community.”
All meetings during this phase will be hosted at the City Centre, located beside the Sumter Opera House. The Schedules is as follows:
Monday, April 1, 1-5PM
Tuesday, April 2, 9AM-12PM
Tuesday, April 2, 1PM-5PM
Wednesday, April 3, 9AM-12PM
Monday, April 1, 6-8PM
Wednesday, April 3, 6-8PM
The City began this process in January of 2019, where they outlined the goals of this master plan document are to:
- bring residents into Downtown,
- make a more cohesive transportation network,
- create usable and accessible public space,
- create an environment for a thriving commercial core,
- facilitate communication between City agencies, non-profits, social services and the cultural arts organizations that serve the community, and
- ensure equitable opportunity and a community welcoming to all.
The online public survey will remain open until April 5. To complete the survey, visit www.downtownsumter.org.
For more information, contact Howie Owens at email@example.com or 803-436-2535, or George McGregor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-774-1606.