Car Seat Installation
Car Seat Installation Request Form:
Appointments available from 8am - 5pm.
South Carolina’s child passenger restraint law requires that:
- An infant under 2 must be secured in a rear-facing car seat in a rear seat of the vehicle until the child exceeds the height or weight limit allowed by the manufacturer of the car seat.
- A child at least age 2 or under 2 who has outgrown the manufacturer’s height or weight limits for a rear-facing car seat must be secured in a forward-facing car seat in a rear seat of the vehicle until the child exceeds the highest height or weight requirements of the forward-facing car seat.
- Children at least age 4 who have outgrown their forward-facing car seat must be secured by a booster seat in a rear seat of the vehicle until the child can meet the height and fit requirements for an adult safety seat belt. Lap and shoulder belts must be used.
- A child at least age 8 or at least 57 inches tall may be restrained by an adult safety belt if the child can be secured properly by an adult safety seat belt.
To view the complete text of the law, visit the Child Passenger Safety webpage at https://scdps.sc.gov/buckleupsc/safety_seat_law.
Car seat installations are by appointment only.
To schedule an appointment fill out the form on this page or call (803) 436-2600.
Appointments available from 8am - 8pm.
What you will need:
- Please bring your car seat manual, vehicle manual.
- Child must be present.
- Limit one (1) car seat per appointment.
- Each appointment lasts 30 to 40 minutes to allow for inspection of seat, installation, and required educational information.
- If you are expecting a baby, it is best to schedule your appointment for at least one (1) month prior to the anticipated due date.
The Sumter Fire Department does not provide car seats or discard old car seats.