Car Seat Installation
Car Seat Installation Request Form:
Appointments available from 8am - 5pm.
South Carolina’s child passenger restraint law requires that:
- Babies must be rear-facing until the age of two and until they exceed the manufactures weight and height limits.
- Children 1 through 5 years old weighing at least 20 pounds and less than 40 pounds must be restrained in a forward-facing child seat.
- Children 1 through 5 years old weighing 40 to 80 pounds must be secured in a belt-positioning booster seat.
- Children under the age of 6 are not required to be in booster seats if they weigh more than 80 pounds or if they can sit with their backs against the car's seat and bend their legs over the seat edge without slouching.
- Children under 6 may not sit in the front passenger seat. However, this restriction does not apply if the vehicle has no rear passenger seats or if all other rear passenger seats are occupied by children less than 6 years old.
Car seat installations are by appointment only.
To schedule an appointment fill out the form on this page or call (803) 436-2600.
Appointments available from 8am - 8pm.
What you will need:
- Please bring your car seat manual, vehicle manual.
- Child must be present.
- Limit one (1) car seat per appointment.
- Each appointment lasts 30 to 40 minutes to allow for inspection of seat, installation, and required educational information.
- If you are expecting a baby, it is best to schedule your appointment for at least one (1) month prior to the anticipated due date.
The Sumter, SC Fire Department does not provide car seats or discard old car seats.