Recruiting & Training
The Sumter Fire Department is always looking for firefighters to fill existing positions as well as new positions to handle the demands of our growing community and increased fire-related hazards.
We provide you with the necessary training to complete your job effectively and safely as well as opportunities for you to make a positive impact on the entire Sumter community.
There are minimum requirements to be met before applying for this fulfilling career as a Sumter Firefighter.
To be considered for testing and interviewing an applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must be in good health and able to pass an OSHA physical
- Must be able to pass a S.L.E.D. Background check
- Must be able to perform under extreme conditions
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Driver’s license
- A certified copy of driving record from each state you have held a driver’s license (10-year record)
- Copy of military discharge form – DD214 (if applicable)
- Proof of name change (if applicable)
- Copy of Naturalization papers (if applicable)
- Copy of Social Security Card
- A certified criminal history report from each state you have lived in
The above documents and application will be reviewed by the Recruitment Officer. Qualified candidates will be contacted as positions become available.
Please feel free to call or stop by and speak with our Training/Recruitment Department if you have any questions about the application or recruitment process.