Recruiting & Training
The Sumter Fire Department is always looking for firefighters to fill existing positions as well as new positions to handle the demands of our growing community and increased fire-related hazards.
We provide you with the necessary training to complete your job effectively and safely as well as opportunities for you to make a positive impact on the entire Sumter community.
There are minimum requirements to be met before applying for this fulfilling career as a Sumter Firefighter.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must be in good health and able to pass an OSHA physical
- Must be able to pass a S.L.E.D. Background check
- Must be able to perform under extreme conditions
The following documents are also required to be considered:
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Driver’s license
- A certified copy of driving record from each state you have held a driver’s license (10-year record)
- Copy of military discharge form – DD214 (if applicable)
- Proof of name change (if applicable)
- Copy of Naturalization papers (if applicable)
- Copy of Social Security Card
- A certified criminal history report from each state you have lived in.
After you submit your employment application for the fire service, you may email the nine (9) documents listed above directly to [email protected] for consideration. Qualified candidates will be contacted as positions become available.
Please feel free to call or stop by and speak with our Training/Recruitment Department if you have any questions about the application or recruitment process.