City/County Business License Department
The Business License Department serves the City of Sumter and Sumter County. All operating Businesses in the City of Sumter and Sumter County must possess a Business license. The City renewals are mailed in January and due by the 15th of February. The County renewals are mailed in February and due by the 15th of March. Applying for a license is completed in the Business License Department at 12 West Liberty Street.
- You must complete an Application and a New Clearance Form which is sent to the planning department for approval from the Zoning Department, Building Inspections Department, and the Fire Department.
- If this is a home occupation, you need to provide us with a letter from the person who is listed on the property records giving you permission to operate a business from this location. This statement needs to be signed and dated by the property owner. If the property is listed in your name, this letter is not required.
- Once the clearance form is received back by the license department you will be notified to return and purchase your license.
- Not sure if you have everything you need? Download this handy checklist!
If you have any questions about the application, please give our office a call at the numbers listed above. If you are an outside contractor, please click here for an Outside Contractor Application.
The License Department employs two licensed Inspectors. Inspectors are responsible for delinquent licenses, contacts with new businesses and new constructions. Working closely with the planning department makes it simple to locate new construction and or businesses If you have questions regarding state licensing for contractors, cosmetologist, real estate, etc. please contact the Labor, Licensing & Regulations Department at (803) 896-4696 or visit their website at www.llr.state.sc.us.
Business License Clearance Form Procedures:
The Clearance Form must be filled out completely by applicant and returned to the Business License Department. (Note: incomplete form may result in nullification of form.)
- The Clearance Form will be disbursed by the Business License Department to the Zoning Department, Building Inspector, Fire Inspector, and if applicable the Health Department.
- Once the form has been returned to the Business License Department, you will be notified by this department as to the results of the clearance form.
- If your form is approved, you will need to come in and complete the Business License application and pay the appropriate fees.
- If your form is disapproved, you will be notified and told which department disapproved your request and who you may contact for additional information on their decision.
PLEASE NOTE: This procedure could take up to a week or more. Please be patient with us so that we may investigate your request properly and provide you with the correct information. If you have any questions you may contact someone in the Business License Department at (803) 774-1621.
- If you are trying to obtain a Retail License, Federal Tax ID number, Liquor License, please contact the Department of Revenue at (803) 898-5000 or visit their website at www.sctax.org.
- If you are trying to file for a Non-Profit Organization, Corporation or LLC, please contact the Secretary of State Office at (803) 734-2170 or visit their website at www.scsos.com.
- If you need Department of Health & Environmental Control to inspect, please contact your local office. For Sumter, please call (803) 773-5511 or visit their website at www.scdhec.net.
- If you are having trouble with a business & need to submit a complaint, please contact the Consumer Affairs/Better Business Bureau at (800) 922-1594 or visit their website at www.scconsumer.gov.
*To view a PDF, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.