The Water Plants Division of the Utilities Department has the overall responsibility of treating and supplying potable water for residential, industrial, and commercial use. Sufficient water must also be available for firefighting. The Water Plants operation team consists of 15 members; a superintendent, an assistant superintendent, a facilities manager, 7 operators, a lab technician, and 4 laborers. The team pumps water from the ground, using 23 deep wells, to 6 major water plants for processing before it is pumped to the distribution system and eight 500,000 gallon elevated water tanks for consumption.
The Water Plants team also operates and/or maintains 4 smaller systems that provide water to its respective community. We own and operate the Mayesville Water System and the Wessex Water System. We operate and maintain the Dalzell Water System and supply water to the Oswego Rural Water Company and maintains the system. The department pumps, treats, and distributes close to 5 billion gallons of potable water each year with an average daily consumption of nearly 12 million gallons.
Water plant staff operated and ensured maintenance of the major plants for the City’s water system and all of the numerous associated wells and elevate tanks, meeting federal and state water quality standards throughout the year. For information about the Water Plants, please call (803) 481-4177 or (803) 436-2595.
Water Plant Statistics
- Largest ground water system in South Carolina
- Water is pulled from Black Creek and Middendorf Aquifers
- Operate and maintain six (6) treatment plants in the City with a total of 23 wells and eight (8) elevated water tanks
- Well flows range from 700 GPM to 2000 GPM
- Operate and maintain 4 county water systems with a total of 7 wells and 4 elevated water tanks.
- Four (4) Elevated Tanks:
- Elevated Tanks – 4 million gallons
- Underground Clearwells – 6.5 million gallons
- Certified operators on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Quality control tests are performed every 2-4 hours
- The City operates a State Certified Approved Lab for testing procedures