A crew of 15 collects and transports an average of 34 tons of limbs and clippings every day. The City of Sumter takes pride in your community and we need your assistance year around to maintain debris and keep all yard trimmings and leafs out of the City stormwater system.
Section 18-319 of Sumter City Code states: "...no entity or individual shall dump, deposit, or place any garbage, rubbish, trash, debris, yard waste, building materials, or junk on any public or private property, whether owned by such entity or individual or not."
Yard debris must meet the following requirements:
- Trimmings shall be cut in lengths no greater than 5 feet long and 8 inches in diameter
- Trimmings must be separated from other yard debris
- All dirt shall be removed from root balls
- Leaves, pine straw and grass clippings must be bagged and separated from other yard debris
- Large amounts of trimmings or lot clearings and tree & stump removal shall be transported to the landfill by the owner or contractor
- Tree limbs, shrubs, small plants, leaves and pine straw shall be placed in a convenient location along the curbside (not in the road nor on top of a stormwater drain)
Sumter City Code Section 74-48 specifies that leaves picked up during the leaf season shall be enclosed in disposable bags, securely tied and placed at a location near the curbside for the collection process. This will insure that leaves do not blow into neighborhood road ways, onto adjoining properties and can be transferred to the landfill without blowing off of City trucks and onto the highways.
Please Note: Following periods of severe weather, such as high winds or ice storms, the normal refuse schedule may be interrupted.