Individuals 15 years of age & Older
Interested in a great summer job or challenging career as a professional lifeguard? Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills, First Aid and CPR/AED and other skills you need to work as a professional lifeguard.
Training options feature two core courses—Lifeguarding and Shallow Water Lifeguarding (available in a blended learning format)—plus optional add-on modules, including waterfront skills or water park skills modules. Successful completion results in a 2-year certification in Lifeguarding that includes first aid, professional-level CPR and AED in one certificate. Digital certificate available upon successful completion of course.
Prerequisites: Must be at least 15 years old and pass certain swimming requirements
- Traditional in-person course format 25 hours, 20 minutes
- Blended Learning course format 19 hours, 30 minutes in-person/7 hours 30 minutes online (27 hours)
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding
- Traditional in-person course format 24 hours
- Blended Learning course format 18 hours in-person/7 hours, 30 minutes online (25 hours, 30 minutes)
Optional Add-on Modules
Prerequisite: Certification in a core course is required; however, the module may be taught at the conclusion of a core course.
- Waterfront Skills Module 5 hours, 40 minutes
- Water park Skills Module 3 hours, 40 minutes
Lifeguarding Review Course
The Review course is designed to review the Lifeguarding skills and core knowledge points required to re-certify in Lifeguarding. Prerequisite: Current Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED or Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate Note: If the Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate is expired, participants must take the full Lifeguarding or Shallow Water Lifeguarding course.
- Lifeguarding Review Course 12 hours, 50 minutes
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding Course 11 hours, 50 minutes
- Patron surveillance
Care for head, neck and spinal injuries
Courses are provided at the Aquatics Center. There is a fee of $100 for the two-year certification. *All Aquatics Center Lifeguard Employees training fee is reimbursed.
Individuals 11 to 14 years of age
Junior Lifeguarding is an American Red Cross program for individuals of 11-14 years of age. Classes will begin the first full week of June and begin promptly at 9:00am and end at 11:00am on Tuesdays and Thursdays of each week- participants should plan to come 15-20 minutes early each day. Junior Guards are required to attend no less than 14 of the 17 classes as they are taught CPR/AED/First Aid and tested. Each Junior Guard will have to perform and pass all skills taught over the nine-week course and by the end of training; pass their final written test to receive the American Red Cross Junior Lifeguard Certification. This program gives them not only skills for becoming a lifeguard, but social skills as well, teaching them how to work as a team.
Participants will be given an option on the last day of class to pass the American Red Cross CPR/AED and First Aid for Professional Rescuers exam to achieve this certification at no extra cost.
- June 6 – August 3: Tuesdays & Thursdays from 9:00 to 11:00am (arrive 15-20 mins early)
- No class on July 4th in observation of the Independence Day Holiday
- Scheduled volunteer hours posted with Lifeguard schedule
- $60 per Jr. Guard (Military Rate: $48)
- No Refunds
- For Military Rate please call (803) 774-3998 or email [email protected] for approval & discount
Pre-test (Students must be able to swim):
- Front crawl 25 yards breathing to side or front.
- Breast Stroke 25 yards using pull breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- Tread water for 1 minute using arms and legs.
- Show a level of comfort on the back by floating on the back for 30 seconds or swimming on the back for 25 yards using the elementary back stroke.
- Submerge and swim under water for 10 feet.
Rules and Expectations of Jr. Lifeguard Participants:
- Each student is expected to volunteer 2 or more hours per week outside of class time for hands-on training, assisting, and shadowing of Lifeguards while on the job. These hours must be scheduled ahead of time with the Instructor.
- Each student is provided 2 Junior Lifeguard T- Shirt that is to be worn both when they are attending the class and scheduled for their volunteer hours (Jr. Guards will not be allowed to Volunteer if they do not arrive in uniform and will have to go home or check in as a Patron – 13 or older).
- All Junior Guards are expected to follow ALL Aquatics Center Rules and Lead by Example for others in their behavior and actions while on duty.
- Girls are to wear appropriate one piece bathing attire and Boys are to wear the appropriate lined swim trunks.