Individuals 15 years of age & Older
Interested in a great summer job or challenging career as a professional lifeguard? Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills, First Aid and CPR/AED and other skills you need to work as a professional lifeguard.
Training options feature two core courses—Lifeguarding and Shallow Water Lifeguarding (available in a blended learning format)—plus optional add-on modules, including waterfront skills or water park skills modules. Successful completion results in a 2-year certification in Lifeguarding that includes first aid, professional-level CPR and AED in one certificate. Digital certificate available upon successful completion of course.
Prerequisites: Must be at least 15 years old and pass certain swimming requirements
- Traditional in-person course format 25 hours, 20 minutes
- Blended Learning course format 19 hours, 30 minutes in-person/7 hours 30 minutes online (27 hours)
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding
- Traditional in-person course format 24 hours
- Blended Learning course format 18 hours in-person/7 hours, 30 minutes online (25 hours, 30 minutes)
Optional Add-on Modules
Prerequisite: Certification in a core course is required; however, the module may be taught at the conclusion of a core course.
- Waterfront Skills Module 5 hours, 40 minutes
- Water park Skills Module 3 hours, 40 minutes
Lifeguarding Review Course
The Review course is designed to review the Lifeguarding skills and core knowledge points required to re-certify in Lifeguarding. Prerequisite: Current Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED or Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate Note: If the Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate is expired, participants must take the full Lifeguarding or Shallow Water Lifeguarding course.
- Lifeguarding Review Course 12 hours, 50 minutes
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding Course 11 hours, 50 minutes
- Patron surveillance
Care for head, neck and spinal injuries
SPECIAL PANDEMIC CERTIFICATION RATE: $55
Courses are provided at the Aquatics Center.
There is a fee of $100 for the two-year certification.
Junior Lifeguard Class
Individuals 11-14 years of age
Maximum of 24 per class
Deadline for registration is June 17, 2019
The Junior Lifeguard Classes begin the first week of June. Classes are Tuesday and Thursday from 10 am-12 pm. Junior Guards are required to attend no less than 10 of the 14 classes as they are taught CPR/AED/First Aid and will be tested. Each Junior Guard will have to perform and pass all skills taught over the seven week course and by end of training and pass their final written test to receive the American Red Cross Junior Lifeguard Certification.
Pre-test (Students must be able to swim):
- Front crawl 25 yards breathing to side or front.
- Breast Stroke 25 yards using pull breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- Tread water for 1 minute using arms and legs.
- Show a level of comfort on the back by floating on the back for 30 seconds or swimming on the back for 25 yards using the elementary back stroke.
- Submerge and swim under water for 10 feet.
Rules and Expectations of Jr. Lifeguard Attendees:
- Each student is expected to volunteer 2 or more hours per week outside of class time for hands-on training, assisting and shadowing of on the job Lifeguards.
- Each student is provided a Junior Lifeguard T- Shirt that is to be worn when they are attending the class and scheduled for their volunteer hours. (Jr. Guards will not be allowed to Volunteer if they do not arrive in uniform and will have to go home or check in as a Patron – 13 or older)
- All Junior Guards are expected to follow ALL Aquatics Center Rules and Lead by Example for others in their behavior and actions while on duty.
- Girls are to wear appropriate one piece bathing attire and Boys are to wear the appropriate lined swim trunks.
- All participants will sign in and sign out of the Center with their assigned code.
June – July Tuesdays & Thursdays 10 am–12 pm
- Scheduled Volunteer Hours Posted with Lifeguard Schedule Every Two Weeks
- If Jr. Guard cannot volunteer another Jr. Guard will be placed in the scheduled hours
$50 Junior Guard Season Session (Government Rate: $40)