When the Rainbow Breaks, Holocaust Lecture with Dr. Henry Knight
Free event, open to the public.
The rainbow has been a sign of divine promise and covenantal obligation grounding the shared values of civilized life. In the story of Noah, a rainbow follows the flood as a sign that God will not destroy the world by floods and as a symbol of human obligation for all peoples to follow the seven Noahide commandments expected of all human beings:
• Prohibition against idolatry;
• Prohibition against taking God’s name in vain;
• Prohibition against murder;
• Prohibitions against adultery and sexual immorality;
• Prohibition against theft;
• Prohibition against eating flesh torn from a living
• Obligation to establish courts of justice.
What does it mean for the binding values of civilized life to be utterly shattered? What does it mean for a transcendent God in covenantal partnership with humanity and all creation to sanction the slaughter of 1.5 million children by divine absence? These questions are the kinds that are raised when the rainbow breaks. Just as surely, one must ask what could lead to a sign of hope breaking forth in the aftermath of such a storm of destruction as that wrought by the Shoah.
When the Rainbow Breaks is an exploration of these issues and questions.
For more info, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/346934946147889/