All City of Sumter offices will open at 11 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 14, 2014.
The sanitation crew is running limited routes, until the landfill reopens. Crews will begin on their Wednesday routes and move forward from there until all routes caught up. Please leave your carts out on the curb until garbage collection is completed. If you have any questions, please call Public Services at 803-436-2558.
The City of Sumter will still send out plows and distribute salt around emergency services (Police, Fire, EMS, Hospital, etc.) and work with the South Carolina Department of Transportation to help de-ice the roads.
Here are some tips on dealing with the winter storm:
Check your supply of flashlights, batteries, bottled water, non-perishable foods, medicines, etc.
- Ensure a portable, battery-operated radio, TV or NOAA weather radio is on hand.
- Do not attempt to heat your home with a gas grill or by bringing a generator inside. Only operate such equipment outdoors in well-ventilated areas. Follow manufacturer instructions.
- Check on family members, friends and neighbors who have special medical needs or who are elderly to ensure they have necessary emergency supplies. Encourage them to determine now what action they would take in the event of an extended power outage.
- Turn off all household appliances, computers, televisions, and air conditioning and heating units, etc. When power is restored, turn on items one at a time.
- Winter Weather Driving Tips from the South Carolina Highway Patrol: http://www.scdps.gov/WinterWeatherDrivingTips2.pdf
- Winter Weather Driving Tips from the 20th Fighter Wing: Winter Weather Driving Safety
- What's closed around the City of Sumter? Keep track of them with The Sumter Item: What's Closed?
- Winter Storm Update from the South Carolina Department of Transportation: Updates
- Sumter County Emergency Shelters
Duke Energy Progress Customers
Customers who experience an outage should call Duke Energy’s automated outage-reporting systems for their respective utility or visit their website:
Black River Electric Cooperative Customers
- In the event of a power outage please call Black River Electric Cooperative at 803-469-8060.
- When calling, please be prepared to provide us with the exact name as listed on your Black River account, your account number or your actual service location address along with a current working phone number. After power has been restored to your area, Black River employees may contact you to verify that your lights are back on.
- Also, leaving your porch light on will help restoration crews verify that your power has been restored.
As always, in the case of emergency, call 911.