Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:59:00 PM
SUMTER, SC (Oct. 6, 2016) Sumter County emergency officials, in conjunction with the American Red Cross, will open an emergency shelter Friday in preparation for Hurricane Matthew.
The shelter will open at 5 PM at Crestwood High School, 2000 Oswego Highway, and will remain open until further notice.
Although it remains unclear what effect the storm will have on our area city, county and state agencies are preparing for the possibility of heavy rainfall and strong winds that could affect residents and others who have traveled to Sumter County from the coast.
Anyone seeking shelter should bring the following:
- Snacks and non-alcoholic beverages
- Clothing and bedding, such as a sleeping bag, blankets and pillows
- Prescription medications and medical devices and supplies
- Important documentation, including contacts information for relatives, physicians, insurance information, etc.
- Cell phones and chargers, battery powered flashlights
For information, contact the Sumter County Office of Emergency Management at (803) 436-2158.