Sumter Disaster Recovery Center Reopens at New Location on Tuesday

Posted by City of Sumter Monday, November 23, 2015 1:54:00 PM Categories: FEMA Flood

COLUMBIA, S.C. – The disaster recovery center formerly at the Sumter County Civic Center will reopen at the following location at 8 am. Tuesday, Nov. 24:


  • Central Carolina Technical College building located at 853 Broad St. in Sumter


The center will be open six days a week Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. until further notice.

Representatives from the South Carolina Emergency Management Division, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Small Business Administration and other agencies will be at the center to explain disaster assistance programs and help survivors apply for aid.


If possible, before going to a disaster recovery center, people with flooding losses should register with FEMA. They can go online to or call 800-621-3362. Help is available in most languages, and lines are open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week until further notice.


Disaster assistance applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing should call 800-462-7585 (TTY). For Video Relay Service or accommodations to visit a center, call 800-621-3362.

Federal disaster assistance for individuals and families can include money for temporary rental assistance and essential home repairs for primary residences not covered by insurance.




FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.


All FEMA disaster assistance will be provided without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, sex (including sexual harassment), religion, national origin, age, disability, limited English proficiency, economic status, or retaliation. If you believe your civil rights are being violated, call 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585(TTY/TDD).


FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.