Sumter County Cultural Commission
In cooperation with USC Sumter and Sumter Shaw Comicon
The Sumter Comic Arts Symposium 2016
Friday, March 4th, 2016 and Saturday, March 5th, 2016
Friday, March 4, 2016 at
USC Sumter, Arts and Letters Lecture Hall, 200 Miller Road, Sumter, SC 29150
From 2:00 until 3:30 pm Conversations with Erica Henderson and Kyle Starks
Saturday, March 5, 2016 at
135 Haynsworth St., Sumter, SC 29150
Doors open at 10:00 am
Children activities from 11:00 am until 4:00 pm
All events are free and open to the public
The Sumter County Cultural Commission is pleased to announce the second edition of the Sumter Comic Arts Symposium.
The Sumter Comic Arts Symposium returns bigger and better this year! This fun-filled event celebrates some of the most exciting and innovative creators working in comics and graphic novels today. From colorful cosplayers, once-in-a-lifetime Q&A panels, to comic books vendors, costume contest, and art activities for children, the Sumter Comic Arts Symposium is sure to offer a fun filled and educational day for the whole family.
We are thrilled this year to host a series of workshops from some of the most prominent comic book artists.
Adults and children alike will enjoy talks and workshops by artists and writers such as:
- Roy Thomas - Roy has written almost every superhero in the Marvel and DC universes, including legendary runs on Conan the Barbarian, The Avengers, X-Men, All-Star Squadron, and Infinity Inc. Roy served as Editor-in-Chief at Marvel in the early 1970s, and he currently edits Alter Ego, a magazine of comics’ history.
- Erica Henderson - Erica is the artist of the highly acclaimed, New York Times bestselling Marvel comic The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Archie Comics’ Jughead.
- Babs Tarr - Babs gained international attention for innovative art of her favorite characters, including a "Biker Gang" take on Sailor Moon, before landing the job relaunching Batgirl with a bold new design and direction.
- Chris Schweizer - Chris writes and draws the all-ages, historical graphic novel series Crogan’s Adventures from Oni Press, which has been nominated for two Eisner Awards.
- Kyle Starks - Kyle is the creator of Sexcastle, a loving tribute to the absurdities of ‘80s action movies. Sexcastle has been recently optioned by Fox with the minds behind Workaholics and the producers of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- Sanford Greene - Sanford has done design work with Lucasfilm and is currently working on Power Man and Iron Fist for Marvel Comics. He has also worked on Marvel’s Runaways with fellow South Carolina native Noelle Stevenson.
- Jeremy Whitley - Jeremy is the writer of Eisner-nominated Princeless, as well as a contributor to IDW’s My Little Pony series and Marvels’ Secret Love comic.
- Chris Sims and Chad Bowers - Chris and Chad are the writers of Marvel’s X-Men ’92 and the upcoming Deadpool: Bad Blood, as well as the Oni Press graphic novel Down Set Fight.
- Matt D. Wilson - Matt writes the comic series Copernicus Jones: Robot Detective. He has also written The Supervillain Handbook and The Supervillain Field Manual for Skyhorse Publishing.
- Gabriel Dunston - Gabriel is the creator behind Purgatory Pub, a humorous graphic novel series that recently published its second volume, following a successful Kickstarter campaign.
- Max Miller Dowdle - Max is the artist and the creator of the original graphic novel Shattered with a Curve of Horn.
Be sure to come dressed as your favorite character for an epic evening of comic art and Cosplay! Cosplay, derived from the terms “costume” and “play,” means exactly that: people dressing up in costumes and engaging in roleplay of their favorite characters. So come join in on all the fun!
The Sumter County Cultural Commission continually strives to engage community members of all ages in the creation, contemplation, and appreciation of the visual arts. Gallery 135 and Patriot Hall focuses its efforts on presenting temporary exhibitions and programming throughout the year featuring local, regional, and national artists and creators from diverse backgrounds working in a variety of media.
Location: Patriot Hall/ Gallery 135
135 Haynsworth Street, Sumter, SC 29150
Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. For more info call 803-436-2260