Affordable Homebuyer Program - Housing
City of Sumter Housing & Economic Development Corp.
NEW CONSTRUCTION The construction of new stick built house is sold to a qualified applicant. These houses are built throughout the city limits.
Housing Director: Clarence Gaines
12 West Liberty Street (Liberty Center)
Sumter, SC 29150
To assist lower income individuals and families to purchase a Home within the City of Sumter.
- Maximum Household Income must not exceed HUD's Income Limits as noted below:
- Income Verification: The Section 8 (Part 5) definition of income will be used to verify the income of all individuals that are 18 years or older and permanently reside in the household.
- Financing: Applicant must be able to obtain first mortgage financing from private mortgage lender.
- Credit History: Applicant must have a responsible Credit History.
- Minimum cash contribution may be required from buyer: 1% of Selling Price
- Homebuyer Counseling: Applicant must attend and complete pre-purchase and post-purchase counseling provided by the City of Sumter.
Eligible Properties - The only housing units that are eligible under this program are houses built by the City of Sumter.
- Location: Various areas within the City limits.
- Primary Residence: The applicant must occupy the property as their principal residence.
- City Grant up to $3,000 for Closing Costs.
- Forgivable deferred loan to $35,000 for gap financing (0% deferred loan).