Sport for Life
A Hidden Treasure for Sumter the Palmetto Tennis Center
The growing town of Sumter, South Carolina has hidden away somewhat of an island of pleasure in the tennis world. Inside the Palmetto Park behind the baseball fields sits The Palmetto Tennis Center. This place is the central focus of all the tennis enthusiasts from the local and surrounding area. These range from 80 to 90 year young retirees who play every Monday morning in freezing cold conditions to the numerous junior and adult clinics held at the tennis center every week. On a busy afternoon in gorgeous South Carolina weather it is not uncommon for all 24 courts to be filled and the tennis buzz fills the air. With its open space and clean facilities it is hard not to feel lucky that such a growing community could already behold such a haven for a tennis player.
The Palmetto Tennis was constructed in 2003 and was open with the start of hosting the Conference Carolinas Championship April 14, 2004. At the time of opening the tennis center had 12 lighted hard courts and the main building including offices, restrooms and a pro shop. Shortly afterwards in 2005 another 6 courts were added to take the facility to 18 courts. The tennis center has progressed in many ways since its opening in 2004. From hiring more teaching professionals to hosting more events and starting a performance training center for the youth. The tennis center has truly grown in stature and status. The Tennis Center like nothing else started from ground up and has with great skills, team goals and strong initiative worked its way up the tennis ladder. The initial host experience was to smaller USTA level three events such as the Palmetto Junior Championships.
After smoothly running numerous tournaments from Local, State to Regional ITA, the tennis center started to expand to higher level tennis events. These include National Small College Championship events and higher level USTA events to include the Women's Pro Circuit 10K and 25K events. In 2017 the Palmetto Tennis Center was able to celebrate their ten year anniversary as host to the USTA Women's Pro Circuit Event.
Palmetto Tennis Center Offers:
- ONLINE REGISTRATION!
- REGISTER FOR YOUR FAVORITE ACTIVITY OR EVENT WHEN IT IS CONVIENENT FOR YOU!
- PAY WITH YOUR VISA OR MASTERCARD THROUGH OUR NEW ONLINE SYSTEM!
- Payment Policy: Prepayment is required for all tennis instruction. ONLINE REGISTRAION is now available for your convenience. If you wish to pay on-site please arrive 10 Minutes early to make a tennis instructed activity payment at the Front Desk.
- Shared Payment Policy: The person whose name the initial reservation is made under is responsible for payment of the full fee and is to be completed online when scheduling the reservation. If you wish to split the fee among multiple party members, it is the registrar’s responsibility to do so at the Front Desk prior to the reservation time. Please arrive 10 Minutes early to the reservation. Lesson times cannot start late.
- Cancellation policy: 48 hours. If cancelled within the 48 hour period, the full court fee will be charged. You may cancel through your online account or by calling the front desk at (803) 774–3969.
- # of Players: A maximum of 4 players may be on a court at any given time, except for team warm-up courts, in which the limit is 6 players.
- Coaching: Private lessons and drilling by coaches other than PTC Tennis Pros is prohibited.
- Music: Please be aware that classes such as 60 Minute Tennis, Pickle Ball, Ball Machine Clinics, and Live Ball clinics may play music to provide a unique experience. Pending availability, you may make a request for a court away from a clinic that will use music by checking in at the Front Desk before your court time.
- Make-Up Policy: Please note that PTC does not offer a make-up policy for missed classes. There will also be no issuance of account credit or financial refunds for missed classes.
- Substitute Policy: Please note that PTC does not allow substitutes for any tennis or fitness classes. You cannot have anyone fill in for you in a class.
- Drop-In Policy: Drop-ins are not allowed for some Adult sessions and some Junior Sessions unless approved by PTC General Manager.
- Class Change / Refund Policy: Scheduled changes must be secured by the first Sunday of each session, and can only be done on a space available basis. No schedule change(s), refunds, or account credit will be allowed after the first Sunday of each session. For instance, if the first day of the session is Monday, January 04, 2016, then the last day to withdraw from a class is Sunday, January 10, 2016. Refunds will be issued in the form of Account Credit, and may be prorated if you withdraw after the first class meeting. Account credit will only apply to the use of tennis-related activities, i.e. programs, lessons, clinics, court and ball machine rentals. Credit from classes and programs cannot be applied towards the Pro Shop or Cafe purchases. In case of injury, a doctor’s note is needed for account credit.
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
PTC's Inclement Weather Policy:
- PTC Players will operate per normal operating hours and schedules even in the event of extreme hot or cold temperatures up to the danger zones.
- There is a lightning detection system in place at the facility for notification of lightning within the area.
- PTC Players are still required to cancel their court reservations per the court cancellation policies if they feel they would not be able to travel safely. Given snow or severe thunderstorm forecasts typically advise of conditions 3-5 days in advance, there should be adequate time to cancel if necessary.
- PTC encourages players to call the center for the latest information, especially early morning classes.
- If conditions cause the facility to close while operating: advanced reservations will be notified via email and not be charged for that day’s reservation if not used.
- Canceled clinics will be credited to each player’s account for that day.
- If you are in the middle of a lesson or reservation, then PTC will wait for you to complete your reservation or clinic and then close for the remainder of the day. Should you choose to leave a lesson or reservation early, no credit will be issued.
4 on-site tennis professionals
- General Manager
- Tennis Development Professional
- Tennis Training Professional
- Tennis Performance Professional
- Complex Coordinator
24 Deco-turf hard tennis courts all of which are lighted for night play.
A Pro Shop with racquets, balls, grips, accessories, etc. as well as stringing and restringing services.
Two ball machines for rent.
Locker rooms with showers and restrooms.
Palmetto Tennis Center Rules:
- All players must sign in at the Pro Shop prior to going to assigned courts
- Tennis shoes must be worn to play
- Shirts must be worn at all times
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
- Please keep our facility free of:
litter, loud noise, pets, unrelated recreational & sporting equipment, smoking, alcohol & profanity